Tuesday, November 17, 2009

miss haley.




There was a time, not far in the past but not remembered clearly in the present, when a timid girl began her ninth year in school (and first in highschool). The hustle and bustle of the hallways, the stunning beauty and seeming importance of people, the plans and dreams being made lay heavy in the air and overwhelmed her. The first day was unforgettable. She was one of many to be overlooked, one of many that even if she became noticed, it was often and glance and nothing more. Althought there were familiar faces, they were those of old classmates who's fears and uncertainties matched her own. Walking into one anticipated class she was met with a face she hadn't forgotten, who's confidence and assured manners settled her uneasiness at once. It quickly became her favorite subject, as the easy atmosphere became a sanctuary to relax and allow her hands to flow across a blank sheet and fill it almost as quickly as it had been placed in front of her.

I am an honest believer in two things. I believe in people being there at just the right time. I believe one of the greatest accomplishments in life is being able to say "I influenced someone for the better. Someone thanked me for making their life a little easier and their days a little brighter". I am also this girl. Through three years of this class, these hallways and the same people, different hardships and new friendships, I grew into someone who I can say I am happy with. I learned that your skin is something you can adjust to feel more comfortable on you, despite what people say. There were the sore losers, the people who couldn't stand your happiness being a level above their own, and finally, those who stuck by me.

The faces that remain in my mind in the last year are of those who looked at me and I seen hope. My dreams were never discouraged, my happiness never dimmed, in fact, it only grew. I now sucessfully can say I am a happy person. I have left a trail where I've walked, weaved my way in and out of peoples lives, but never have regretted anything. There are people still remaining who would do anything to feed off my bad moods or unhappiness, but they are the people I won't remember.

These people I speak of, are naturally my beautiful, loving parents. My family, who I fall back on and who fall back on me, because I've learned blood truly is thicker than water. My select few close friends, who are permanently by me for good and for bad, even if I had to weed through several bad friends to find them. A teacher who called me "MacPhee" and let me shine brighter than I thought I ever could.. or was brave enough to try. And lastly, a teacher, who gave me the nickname "Miss Haley" and allowed me to show album after album of pictures and turn in many shaky papers as I first started my ideal career (Photo Journalism).The final push I needed came with the words "You can do whatever you want.". For that I thank you a million times over.

It's the least I can do.


3 comments:

  1. "Special" doesn't begin to describe you. You are beautiful, compassionate, articulate, and bright in every sense of the word. For the small amount of time I've known you, I have felt so thankful that you've let me in on the world you're so well at creating. People think it doesn't, but being kind and actively caring about everything around you pays off. Here's to living on purpose! <3 Tu as un talent pour apprivoiser les autres. Cultivez-le!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey tu ma fait pleurer! I felt so lucky to have known you, and the time was much too short. You left a lasting influence on our classroom, I will never forget you. I could say those same exceptional words to you, my musical soulmate! And thank YOU a million times over! And here's to living for the things that matter, like a good teacher, for example. I think I know a few. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, thank you Miss Haley. It is I who have learned from your grace and talent; you've made my job a pleasure.

    ReplyDelete