Sunday, February 7, 2010

have a little faith in me.

baby steps.
it's how we begin in life.
it's how we get through the hardest things
that life throws our ways
and it's how we learn to grow old.

"i was a little girl
alone in my little world
who dreamed of a little home for me
i played pretend between the trees
and fed my house guests bark and leaves
and laughed in my pretty bed of green"

i've grown up.
i've changed from this little girl dancing around
the big apple tree in my yard
spending hours dreaming of
worlds with everything this one
said didn't exsist.

"i had a dream,
that i could fly from the highest swing
i had a dream."

yet,
with those baby steps
i've managed to get back in that mindset
with much more perspective.
whos to say these things can't exsist?
if they make us happy
who is to tell us it's wrong?
(the people who aren't happy
and let's not listen to them)

"long walks in the dark
through woods grown behind the park
i asked God who i'm supposed to be
the stars smiled down on me
God answered in silent reverie"

and as the person i am now
i've spent hours under the stars
contemplating things that have happened to me
to make me who i am
and then contemplating nothing at all.
and in those twinkling jewels that line the sky
i am well on my way to figuring out
who i am becoming,
who i am supposed to be
who i will become one day.
i will change the world- my world
for the better.


"i had a dream, 
that i could fly from the highest swing
i had a dream."

i'm still dreaming.
i'm still hoping.
and i'm still believing.

"now i'm old and feeling gray
i don't know whats left to say
about this life i'm willing to leave
i've lived full and i've lived it well
there's many tales i've lived to tell
i'm ready now,
to fly, from the highest swing, 
i had a dream."

and one day
with whatever i become
i want to be able to say "yes
i'm ready to go, 
for everything i've done
it's meant something
i've left such a mark on this earth-
on people that it's okay
for me to leave. because i am done."

- haley macphee, and priscilla ahn (for that beautiful song every second paragraph- it's called Dream)

No comments:

Post a Comment